Casein, also known as milk protein, is the Latin name for cheese. It refers to the amount of protein in milk that is processed into cheese and is actually a mixture of several proteins. Casein is the main component of the protein in quark and cheese. The clotting of the casein is what gives the two dairy products their firm consistency. Casein accounts for around 80% of the total protein content in milk; the remaining 20% is whey protein.
In addition to whey protein, casein is among the most popular protein supplements in bodybuilding and many other sports, as it can very effectively help you reach your own strength and fitness goals. However, since casein is one of the main triggers of allergies to cow’s milk, it is not suitable as a dietary supplement for people with lactose or casein intolerance. Such persons should take a closer look at the many other protein supplements that are standard for many sportspeople, bodybuilders, athletes, etc., such as beef protein, multicomponent protein, whey protein or whey isolate.
Casein: biological value
The biological value indicates how efficiently your body can convert proteins from your food into your body’s own protein. The higher the value, the more cell structure you can build from the protein. For example, full egg and beef protein have a biological value of 100, beef 80, whey protein 104. The biological value of casein is about 77, which is somewhat lower than that of whey protein. In practice, however, due to its perfect long-lasting effect, casein is a convincing choice.
Where is casein found?
The greatest natural sources of casein, according to the Federal Center for Nutrition (Bundeszentrum für Ernährung), are cheese (note the fat content!), cottage cheese, granulated cream cheese and quark, because here the casein becomes clotted, while the whey protein remains in the whey and is separated. Milk, buttermilk, yoghurt, butter, cream and kefir also contain casein. However, the proportion of casein in each product varies. Casein is contained in all types of milk—cow’s milk, sheep’s milk and goat’s milk